- layoffs at the firm even though they said there wouldn't be any (and thankful I'm still employed);
- fighting in emails with an Ex who is so self-absorbed, maniacal, egotistical and manipulative you wonder how the hell you lived with him for 20 years and are so so so so glad you don't live with that anymore;
- scrambling to prepare for a hearing only to come home to a child with an eye so full of pus you know that you are NOT getting on a plane tomorrow, you are taking him to the Dr and thankful you have a big Firm full of lawyers and one has graciously volunteered to get up to speed fast and handle the hearing for you and cannot believe Ex told the child, "Just drive yourself to the Dr tomorrow." which technically the Boy could but with 1 eye swollen shut? Um, no...did I mention Ex is self-absorbed?
- drafting discovery responses at midnight with a silly puppy on your lap who insists she must sleep on your lap and not the nice comfy couch and you give in because, well, she's the baby and you spoil her;
- calling the Captain at 1 a.m. to listen to him and his brothers sailing up the Florida coast from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale on a gorgeous, near full-moon night and wishing you could be on that boat instead of on the couch with 2 snoring dogs, your laptop and a pussy-eyed** child...
- thankful that all things considered you're still the windshield and there really are just minor nuisances in your life, no major traumas. There's a new country song called "Sounds like Life to me." by Darryl Worley and the chorus goes like this:
Sounds like life to me,
it ain't no fantasy
It just a common case of everyday reality
Man, I know its tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk you're caught up in some tragedy
It sounds like life to me
Do you hear that? It's me. Sucking it up.
Photo courtesy of Google Images...
**edited to clarify his eyes are full of pus! LOL thanks commenters. See what happens when you blog in the middle of the night?!