Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Who Knew Cheap Toilet Paper Had a Purpose?

I hate cheap toilet paper. I hate going potty at work or anywhere that has cheap toilet paper. I thought companies bought cheap toilet paper because they were, well, CHEAP.

I never understood why grocery stores sold cheap toilet paper. Who bought that stuff? And Why? My butt hurt just thinking about buying cheap toilet paper.

Until The Other Day. Now I am ENLIGHTENED.

The Other Day my basement had a minor flood. It would have been a major flood but I got lucky and made a trip to the basement right after my shower and saw the water coming up through the floor in the overflow drain. HUH?

I suspected the main sewer pipe might be backed up, so I had Son go upstairs and flush the [clean] toilet. Sure enough, water came bubbling up through the floor drain.

HElllllooooo RotoSewerCostMe$600andmyleg Company. They came out quickly, unplugged the drain, sent out two sweet 40-something camera men to snake a camera down my pipe (sounds kind of...well, you know. My mom reads this and so I have to stop right there)...and show me how my sewer pipe just might do this again.

One nice cute RotoCamera man said, "So what kind of toilet paper do you use?" Hell of a pickup line. But I had such a high class answer! "Why Charmin of course honey." And what does he say? "Oh no honey, that's a plumber's dream. Keeps me in business. You need to buy yourself that cheap stuff. The big, fat, soft fluffy stuff doesn't dissolve in the pipes which causes these backups. Better get yourself some recycled thin stuff."

Please tell me he was kidding.

Nope, he was not. He said if I didn't switch, I just might have to spend $7,000 to get new pipes laid (something about my 40 year old pipes being all gnarly on the inside and snaggy and catching the not-quite-dissolved paper. Quite frankly it all sounded a little too personal and I just might resemble some of those comments....)

Anywhoooo, next trip to grocery store, I dutifully went to the TP aisle and bought, gasp, the Store Brand. And put it in the Kids' bathroom. The Good Stuff will stay in my bathroom where I can use it, throw it in the trash can, and take the can outside every night. Totally worth the trip.

13 comments:

Gigi said...

I've heard the same thing about "fluffy" toilet paper. I've recently switched to the Target brand - and seriously haven't noticed a difference (personally) - don't know if it's working as well for the pipes though because it still seems kinda fluffy.

ChiTown Girl said...

I've always used the cheap stuff, cuz, well, I'm cheap!!! I guess I've saved myself some plumbing expenses, huh?

Feisty Irish Wench said...

We are soon to vacate this 55 year old house with old pipes and probably some tree root invasions, and a septic tank that hasn't been emptied since before we moved in here over 6 years ago.
I buy Angel Soft because that's what his dad bought (septic at that house as well). The husband bought Charmin once b/c we were out and his trip from the time clock to the TP involved 150 steps and that's all they had. Within 24 hours we had THREE toilet clogs. This is a 1 bathroom house with 6 people in it. I told him never buy that stuff again, and use less of it because it's thicker and clogs the pipes and do more courtesy flushes. We managed to survive that package with only a couple more clogs - mostly due to frequent visits of an extended variety.

Sarah J Clark said...

Been there. Don't that. We now use Quilted Northern.

=)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I've used Kirkland forever and it seems to be both comfy and pipe-friendly.

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm convinced. Will switch to the cheap brand.

BTW, in Greece, because the piping system in so ancient [no pun intended], you are not supposed to place ANY toilet paper in the toilet. You place the toilet paper in a waste basket beside the toilet (this is first hand experience. Also, a British National at the AF base where I was stationed in England explained this to me before I departed for Greece).

Now, under such circumstances you can use the soft & fluffy kind or the cheap brand.

dkuroiwa said...

Who would have thought that my frugalness would also be beneficial to our pipes? when we go to the states, i fall in love all over again with charmin...such loveliness! then it's back to singly-ply whatever when we come back...gotta love vacation!!

by the way...there are still homes here in nagasaki that do not have flush it away toilets. Suffice to say that once a week, a big truck comes and vacuums everything out of the tank. Those people could use charmin and get away with it, i bet!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.