Thursday, May 1, 2008

I Have No Friends - and other comments about my life as viewed from my teens

SO It appears I have no friends nor the ability to make friends. Curious. Tonight my son and I were discussing cars and boats and the various enjoyments of life. Ex kept the wakeboat, much to my pleasure quite frankly. Anyway, I said, "You know one of the quandaries of moving to Florida for me is will I live on the lake/fresh water and maybe have a ski boat or live on the ocean?" He said, rather incredulously, 'WHY would YOU have a boat?!" I answered rather indignantly, "To enjoy - to ski, to play." HIM: "WHEN would you use it?" Me - Du-H, "WHEN you come home and other times." HIM: "It will just sit there." ME: REALLY INDIGNANTLY: "UM NO, I will use it all the time." HIM: (total disbelief) "How dumb you'll just drive it around by yourself?!" ME: What if I have Friends. HIM: LAUGHING UNCONTROLLABLY: "Yeah, you, friends, that's funny."

Moment of truth. Do I tell him just how many friends I already have in Florida? Or do I drop it.

1....2....3....4....5 (counting for patience and guidance here)

Item dropped. Let the egocentric teenager live in his bubble world of self importance another day. Right bud, I will sit in my kitchen, stuffing my face with old lady food, looking longingly at my boat and wishing my son were home so that I would have a reason to enjoy life.

Uh-huh.

10 comments:

DF said...

Did not know you were moving to
Florida.

As you surmised, the kids do not realize that we had lives before they were born. Our lives became centered around them because that is what was important at the time, reducing our circles of friends to those that were/are most dear. When the kids get older and are able to drive responsibly for themselves, our friendship circle begins to grow again because there is more free time for things other than kids.

In our case, A and C think we are just this side reclusive. It is all about them. Hang in there, it gets better. Sooner for Sh, later for Au.

The Girl Next Door said...

At this point florida is a distant dream - when the kids graduate. My daughter is all for it. I think son is there, too. I hate the cold the ice the city. But I have a lot of details to figure out like a job and where to live...

Anonymous said...

The Cold? the Ice? You live in the Mid-Atlantic - not New England! For the record - I've been musing about where I'll retire to - and incredibly D has agreed that Maine is the answer.

btw: I read through your recent blobs here - and I thought that maybe you should be listening to my music more... maybe some Replacements, Nine Inch Nails or Everclear. In fact you should run - not walk - to YouTube and listen to Everclear sing Hater. I'm serious. (Heck - It's such a good idea that I'm going there right now.)

Anonymous said...

hmmm - make sure its the one with the band playing
(one of the videos has an anti-religous theme that you wouldn't care for).

Carol P. said...

Yeah, whassup with the cold? It's not like you live in Siberia or anything, is it?

That said, as a person who has carefully chosen where she and the family live in a place whose climate is exactly what I find comfortable, I can totally understand wanting to live someplace where your soul feels at peace.

And good on you for putting up with the "My parents live solely to facilitate my life" thing. My kids are pretty sure I go into a state of suspended animation while they're not around, doing nothing but pining for the sunshine that they bring. It's a nice little delusion, eh?

The Girl Next Door said...

For those who think I do not live in Siberia, (yes I realize it could be worse! oh so much worse!) cold is relative. Ask the partners who won't come into my office because the heat is set at 95 YEAR ROUND. I am just warming up at 80 and prefer 90. So yes, DC is cold to me more than 1/2 the year, which is too much. I also liked SC where we had about 1 or 2 months of "chilly" 50s. Anything below 50 is wretched in my book. And yes, I did grow up in NE.

Mrs. G. said...

Don't you know that in teenworld you have no real life? It passes.

The Girl Next Door said...

O-M-G I am back to totally geekwad. Mrs. G commented on my blog. If you haven't checked out her blog, you need to. She is awesome. She has 178 votes on her poll. She is perhaps the funniest person I don't know. (We all know Don is the funniest person I do know). And Mrs. G knows I exist and visited my blog. It's better (almost) than meeting George Clooney.....sigh.

Karen said...

Ah this is why you loved my house so much. I LIVE in FLORIDA! Ha! Really, are you moving down? I'll help you decorate!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.