Thursday, July 24, 2008

To Everything Turn, Turn, Turn

yeah so this post title shows my age.

The wheels of change are spinning and I experience an odd sensation as they do: excitement with a tinge of....dread? Apprehension? "Appredrension" maybe?

The 1 year mandatory voluntary separation date is fast approaching - the date on which I am free to file for the official divorce. I have been thinking about how to handle - to draft it myself? Wait and see what Ex does? [NOT] Call the lawyer we had hired to do the separation agreement?

A year ago we had said that we would do this together and file it simply, but that was when we were still civil to one another, about 2 months before he stopped talking to me and stopped acknowledging my existence. So I figured that plan was off.

And what appears in my inbox today but....an email from EX! About D-Day. In keeping with our previous understanding and in true "get 'er done" fashion, he has already called our previous lawyer, figured out what needs to be done, and is ready to do it. He offered to file the petition yaddah yaddah.

Shocking. In a good way. I have been wondering what was stewing in that depression-ridden brain of his. Was he going to file some crazy papers? Contest something? Try to break the separation agreement? I have been a little crazed these last few months wondering what he might try to pull, just because he is living in his own fantasy world of rejection lately. It appears - yes appears - I might have worried about nothing.

So I shot him an email back offering to do this like we did the separation agreement - working together, using my legal skills, filing the papers on the cheap, and getting it done ourselves.

two characteristics of his I can use to my advantage: 1) he is a true do-it-yourselfer who HATES to pay others to do what he can do; 2) he hates to spend money on anything that's not necessary.

Hmmmm, ball is back in his court. Wondering where it will go, but cautiously optomistic. Imagine....

5 comments:

Alice said...

I hope it all goes as smoothly as it can for you. Peace.

DF said...

I will pray for you and K both.

Jen said...

It's scary what issues can come when filing for divorce, even when you agree to break clean. I'm still waiting for my divorce to be done. Ex isn't happy about the kids so he's trying to stall the process. UGH.

The best of luck to you. I hope all goes smooth with out a hitch.

San Diego Momma said...

Good luck. I hope it continues to go well, and you can move forward.

Deirdre said...

This post reminded me of when I told my ex-husband (still my husband at the time) that work had just given me health care, so we could finally get a divorce.

He called me the.next.day with the papers all filled out and ready for my signature.

My divorce cost me $52.50.

Also, a good chunk of my heart.