Monday, July 28, 2008

MEMORY MONDAY

DATE: JULY 28, 2008

TIME: 10:20 A.M.

PLACE: MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION

PRESENT: MOM, SON, DAUGHTER




Who says Memory Monday has to be about a distant Memory? I think the memory of this morning will last a lifetime. The day they got their Permits. The day they got behind the wheel and DROVE. (Um well maybe we did a little illegal driving through the neighborhood and in parking lots, but never on a "real" road....)


Cute how they wore matching shirts, no? OH yes, daughter didn't realize it until I pointed it out at MVA when they were about to have their photos taken. AUDIBLE GROAN.


Honestly, I'm not sure who was more excited, them or me. For some reason everyone tells me I'm supposed to be nervous about this. But I have been looking forward to this day. I have enjoyed every stage of their lives and haven't wished them to stop growing up or wanted to go back and do over - every age is so awesome and, in some ways, each age just improves over the last. I think We're Rare and Blessed that way.


Some great quotes from the 1.5 hours of driving.


MOM: Daughter, slow down a little.
DAUGHTER: But My foot's not on the gas.
MOM: TRY BRAKES!!!!!!!!
DAUGHTER: Oh, yeah, huh.


MOM [to Son]: A little slower on that next turn, ok?
SON: But I was trying to negotiate the turn and stay in the correct lane.
MOM: Just try it a little slower next time, ok?
SON: Well if I go slower next time then I blah blah blah
MOM: GO SLOWER ON THE NEXT TURN OR YOU'RE DONE
SON: Oh, ok.


MOM: WHOA Go left! Too close to the mailbox!!!!!
DAUGHTER: But I was trying to get around that parked truck on my left.
SON: YOU WERE ON THE GRASS I"M HAVING A HEART ATTACK BACK HERE!
DAUGHTER: Oh, sorry...



SON: THERE ARE CARS COMING AT ME!!!!!!


I think they'll be great drivers. Nope, my nose is not growing. I have confidence in them.

10 comments:

JO said...

Sweet! Can you believe it? We have drivers! LOL! Have you let them drive your baby yet? Tee hee!

Now My Friend, just wait until the "you drove last time" crap starts. (TG I don't have to deal with that one!)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

My fifteen year old is online doing his driver's ed as we speak. It's always a little stressful in the beginning, but so worth it when they go to the store for you!

DF said...

Both of mine have been great and yours will be too. The most important thing is for the to pay attention in front of them.

Katy said...

I am so not looking forward to driving, only a year and a half before girlkid gets her permit. Ugh. I'll look to you for good advice! :-)

Anonymous said...

The thought of my son driving - strikes terror. Glad it will be his dad's job to teach him. Your kids sound like such fun. I'm sure they'll take it easy on you.

Amy said...

How exciting for them and for you! Once they start driving on their own you won't have to drive them everywhere they want to go!

And you can send them to the store to run your errands!

katydidnot said...

2 at once, god bless you.

dkuroiwa said...

I remember learning to drive when I was about 13 (I'm from the country, ya'know!) and when I just flew through an intersection my mom came unglued! My response: "I could see no one was coming."
God's watching over you...you keep watching over those kids!!!
Advice from my mom..."as long as the kids are driving, I could always have a drink and it seemed to go much easier."

sassy2 said...

I can hardly wait for the day. With twins it will be twice as scary. Did you find that? lol. I don't live next door 2 my ex, but DHs ex wife is my best friend. Go figure.

Suzanne said...

Oh scary. Good luck.
Sporty is taking her mandated drug and alchohol course now. Next is the learners permit test. Yikes.