Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Intruder Alert!

Monday night, 11:30 p.m. I am finally thinking about maybe going to bed - still on the phone with the Captain saying goodnight. I didn't get home until after 10pm from work and felt creepy inside my own house, alone, no dogs no kids. Something just felt wrong.

In my room, at the far side of the stairs on the second level, I could swear I hear something. Voices? Is that the front door rattling? I'm distracted by Captain but have that niggling fear creeping back into my heart, hair on the back of my neck standing tall....

Suddenly I say to Captain, "I swear I hear something!!!" Did I lock the front door? Bolt it? Yes, I am sure I did.

I go to the edge of my doorway and listen and YES I HEAR THE FRONT DOOR CLOSE!!!

I call out bravely, "WHO IS THERE?? I HEAR YOU!!!" Followed by stomping up the stairs. I scream into the Captain's Ear. HOLY SHIT SOMEONE IS IN THE HOUSE!!!!

Around the corner comes......Daughter and Lorelai! "HI MOM!"

EEEEEEEK Mom is still screaming.

"HOLY SHIT DAUGHTER! YOU SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!"

Daughter, "Sorry Mom I was trying to be quiet. It's late you know."

HUH?? Trying to be quiet? Trying to get a baseball bat over the head??

ME: "Why didn't you call me to warn me?"

Daughter, "I didn't want to wake you."

Uh, yeah, I'm awake....

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

She is lucky she did not get hit with a flying object......scary.

Anonymous said...

I get so exhausted by Jake's fear of the dark sometimes. Now I'm thinking that's got to be easier than teen lurkers in the house.

dkuroiwa said...

Well...this was a situation that everyone learned something...well, maybe not you but...the Caption learned that a)you are a screamer (teehee) and b)pretty panic-y in situations like that and hopefully your daughter learned that 'it's never too late to call Mom and let her know she's coming home'.
Man...I probably would have thrown the bat and then just peed. I pretty much freak easily, too!!!

dkuroiwa said...

Oops! That would be the CAPTAIN not the Caption...'cause that just wouldn't make any sense!!
:-D

Unknown said...

Can you imagine if daughter had come home and you were upstairs with the Captain? Who would have been more surprised/scared? Who would have screamed louder?

Amy said...

I probably would have freaked out too. Being a military mom with a husband gone frequently - I've been through this - ALOT! Luckily we have an alarm system that speaks as doors/windows are opening. And I always set the alarm as soon as I settle in for the night.

The Girl Next Door said...

FYI For just this reason, there is NO CAPTAIN at my house. Ever. Yet...