Monday, October 25, 2010

Stop Telling Me What To Do

Lately everyone seems to want to be my boss. And it's not going over so well.

The other day I was in the grocery store, zooming around trying to fit in shopping while running late for a game and preparing for a party later. You know, the regular "being a woman" stuff. I am careful when I'm in zoom mode not to cut people off, run them over or be rude. So I was zooming around people in the produce department and some old, slow man says to me, "Just take it easy and slow down." WTF? Did I say to you, "He pokey get the frick out of the way - try caffeine you might move faster than 0.0001 mph!!"

Getting gas, not wasting time. Some old dude says, "Take it easy there, just enjoy life." WTF getting gas is an enjoyable experience? Maybe I'd like to get gas and get out on the field where I can enjoy life. Did I tell you to get the frick out of the way and go home where you can't bother people? No I just smiled at you and muttered under my breath.

"Friends" are telling me not to be "hard" on myself. People are telling me who to date, what to think, where to go. Telling me what I "should" do, how I should do it, and at what speed I should proceed. I am not asking for advice. This is all unsolicited. What is it about a single woman that invites every Tom, Dick, Harry, Joe, Pete, Steve, Mike, Jeff and Marshall to think they need to give me direction? And yes the only people telling me what to do ARE MEN.

I have stopped smiling at them and nodding and keeping to myself. I have started firing back. "NO you know what I really need? To make my own decisions. To decide what's best for me. And I really don't like doing what you're suggesting. So I'm not doing it that way thank you very much."

Yeeesh what am I, wearing a sign that says, "Boss Me Around"? I thought I exuded a certain, "Don't Mess With Me Attitude." Apparently I need to work on that a little....

3 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Just keep smiling and doing what YOU need to do.
The old guy wants you to slow down so he can check you out without getting dizzy. :)

J.G. said...

When the universe sends you the same message again and again, you should listen.

Oops, I'm doing it too. :-)

DF said...

You are too nice to be mean.