Monday, February 22, 2010

Going to Take A Test

The day (two actually) is finally here - the Florida Bar Exam. What the hell was I thinking when I started the paperwork for this last Fall? Oh right - that someday I want to live in Florida!

Well someday is going to have to be very very far in the distant future, because I have studied about 10 hours for this test. It requires about 100 hours of study. I have been working my butt off, fooling around procrastinating when not working, and generally doing anything but studying.

Why is it that I have not studied I wonder? I have pondered this a lot in the last three weeks - instead of studying, of course. Remember, I was snowed in for a week, with no power for 3 days = lots of time to study, right? But I didn't. I studied for maybe an hour or two. That's all. Why?

I honestly don't know. Perhaps I am so afraid of failing this thing that I figure if I don't study then if I fail, well, no biggie because I couldn't be expected to pass it. Perhaps I'm just so stressed over work that when I'm not working I don't want to study. I billed 255 hours in January. Billed - that doesn't count all the time I'm actually at the office. Do the math....

I do know that I do want to move to Florida. I have been looking at jobs on line down there and I keep thinking "yes yes move!" But I also love my job here and I just got a whopping raise. What I'd truly like best is for my firm to open a Florida office. There has been such talk but it's probably two or more years in the future. Can I wait that long? Well, the question is do I want to wait that long? The answer is NO.

Oh and in case you're wondering, it cost me about $1600 not including hotels and travel to take this test...and I am paying for it myself. Should be incentive enough, eh? Apparently not.

So why didn't I study? Why aren't I studying now instead of blogging?

If anyone has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

6 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Oh my gosh! Do you think any of this has to do with The Captain?

I think you'd be the perfect person to head up the Florida office!! Don't stress yourself out too much over this. If it's meant to be, the pieces will fall into place one way or another.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Perhaps you 'want' to move to Florida, but really are not ready to do it.
Please do, you never know when I will need some representation. :0
good luck, Suz

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Florida can be amazing, yet frustrating.
Sometimes anywhere but here is the place we want to be.
I think perhaps you will ace it, you always underestimate your strengths, I can tell.
GOOD LUCK! NOW BREAK A LEG!

DF said...

Good luck on the exam.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Hmmm, not sure, but obviously your subconscious is at work...or perhaps it's more simple than that. Perhaps, you have just been overloaded and tired, and your brain couldn't handle anything more. Mama always says things happen for a reason. They usually do, and sometimes it takes a while for the reason to become obvious. The world won't end if you fail, you know that don't you?

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You subconsciously know you're so amazing you'll pass without studying?