Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Joys and Dangers

The most obvious benefit of Next Door is making it easier on the whole sharing the kids scenario - but it has its downside. They pop in at all hours of the day and night, unexpected, unannounced, scaring the pants off you. Like the morning I was on the treadmill, iPod blaring, preparing for an upcoming race, "in the moment" imagining coming down the homestretch when suddenly there is a PERSON standing next to me at 5:30am, looking for a forgotten something for school. And I thought my heartrate couldn't get any higher. Or after a late night of salsa dancing - really late - and they come bopping in the next morning at 7:30 a.m. looking for something for a trip with Dad. It's great that the first thing they want to do is say hello...but jeez...and we won't even go into the whole idea of dating. Not them, me, silly. Well, I'm up now, guess I'll get some chores done. So much for sleeping in.....

2 comments:

DF said...

For now, the dating thing will set the example for them as to what is expected and acceptable. Whatever is acceptable for you to do dating is acceptable for them to do when dating.

Remember, you are the example for Sh and Au.

The Girl Next Door said...

Oh NOOOOOO. I don't think so. I see double standards in my future. (JK - sort of) The biggest double standard being "Keep it to myself." and I have to say, they are not going to know I'm dating unless they really need to know. Too many "people" in and out of their lives is just confusing. for now they know I have a lot of "friends." And I do! As for one special friend, that's TMI in my book. Besides, when I mentioned the idea of me dating to Sh she responded, "That's gross. You're old." Nuf said.