Sunday, October 25, 2009

ALMOST the biggest most embarrasing Faux Pas!

I signed on to be a mentor to a first year law student at my law school. Because, yeah, I'm not already working more than full time (and being paid part time) and I have time for this!

Well hopefully I will have time, just not this week.

But anyway, I signed up and my Mentee immediately emailed me, so I agreed to meet before 3 weeks passed.

My mentee's name? Abteen. I got a resume. Looked at it. (impressive). Looking forward to meeting this nice, young lady and hopefully find some way to help/encourage her.

I was running late (woot there is a surprise). We had exchanged cell phone numbers so I called her.

And a man answered. Huh?

Yep, Abteen is a boy. Oops. Glad I called so that my shock and awe was over the phone and not written all over my face. Not that I can't be a mentor for a boy. I just assumed it was a girl. I don't know why. Oops again.

6 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

tee hee hee! i would have ASSumed the exact same thing!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'll be interested to hear what an "Abteen" looks like.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, that is funny. Oops!

Feisty Irish Wench said...

Thankfully your overachieving mentee answered the phone so you could get that shock out of the way without embarassing the ASSumptions out of yourself.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Eh, one day he will be middle aged and understand.

Damama T said...

It sure sounded like a girl name time me! And on a more positive note, I now have a solid example of why it is sometimes GOOD to be a late-runner! Thanks!