Wednesday, March 10, 2010

FOUND: PERFECT Cold Remedy

Sitting in my snotty bed, strewn with tissues, spare papers from the Complaint I was drafting for a client today, purse overflowing with pens and checkbook and things Son wanted, wallowing in my sickness, head still hurting, breathing worse not better, lamenting missing my indoor game, back hurting from sitting improperly all day, tired of being sick. [NOTE: Girl Next Door is a wimpy-assed sick girl. Cold? Oh no I am sure I'm dying of pneumonia - double pneumonia even!! ]

It's 7pm, my game has officially started without me, my Complaint is submitted, and I'm hungry. Sympathy Hungry. [iTouch diet? Shhhh he's sleeping in his charger and won't know if I eat something and can't log it on the LoseIt! Program! Besides, I'm S-I-C-K and these calories don't count!]

I have had 47 cups of tea and I'm sick of it. I don't do juice. I've had 32 Vitamin C pills. Cold pills. Snorted Saline. Looking for The Cure.

And then - Inspiration -Thinking about a cold day in Annapolis with the Captain and an evening drink: Hot Buttered Rum

Hot like Tea
Rum like Medicine
Spices like Herbs
Butter like...slippery Vicks Vapo-rub [oh shush so I'm going to eat it, not wear it, so what?!]

But I've never made the stuff. Enter the Lovely Internet, Google "Recipe: hot buttered Rum"

Emeril pops up first - of course. And his recipe? Awesome. But no time to let this sit in the Fridge to harden. I'm in a NOW kind of mood. Click, next
Rachel Ray - fast but still not quite right. I have to do math to cut it down to one serving. (because that's all the Rum I have left after the Captain's visit). Math Sucks.
About.com - of course . Just the right amount of everything:
  • small slice soft butter
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • optional spices to taste: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, allspice
  • vanilla extract
  • 2 oz dark rum
  • hot water

Mix the first 4 in an Irish coffee mug [hey didn't I get 4 of those as a wedding gift and have never used them 21 years and a divorce later? Perfect]

Add rum and hot water.

Carry up to bed. Get under covers. Turn on Country Music being careful not to wake iTouch Mean Man Calorie Counter. Blog and sip Medicine.

I'm feeling better already.....

8 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Hmmm...do you actually have to be sick to enjoy one of those? ;-)

Carol P. said...

Ugh, hope the Hot Buttered Rum cures what ails ya!

Kalynne Pudner said...

I myself am partial to mimosas (I know you said you don't do juice, but it's a lot harder to justify straight champagne) and Nyquil. This absolutely knocks out any kind of cold. Or at least, any kind of cold is gone by the time you regain consciousness.

stephanie said...

GENIUS! I will bookmark this (on my laptop, so as to keep it secret from my iLover; he might be a snitch to yours...).

*feel better soon*

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Is it wrong to wish for a cold?

Busy Bee Suz said...

Sounds good. Can I have this at 6 am though?

J.G. said...

Hot lemonade with splashes of honey and Crown Royal is also a viable option. I'm on my second cold of the winter, so believe me, I know.

Kacy said...

love your blog...not even sure how I found it, but so glad I did. You CRACK ME UP!!